Sunday, November 28, 2010

Finding Nuruk (누룩)

This will most likey be the only difficult task in making Makkoli for most people.  It isn't the most common ingredient as very few people ever have a reason to find it. It is used to make soy sauce, miso, dwenjang, and any other products that has fermented rice or beans.  However its not popular to make your own, not even all that popular to homebrew makkoli yet.


What I did was to search all over the open air markets until I found someone who even knew what Nuruk was, then they sent me to a different market where people buy the ingredients to make different foods at home.  Funny thing was the proper stores advertising "homemade dwenjang" didnt even know what Nuruk was (even though you cant make dwenjang without it).

When I got to the right market, it was pretty interesting as they had many things I haven't seen before and I love to cook at home.  They had all kinds of Nuruk and even the bark it grows on in the wild, but there was one problem.  Apparently Nuruk has become very popular as a face scrub of some sort and the kind they wanted to sell me was just that kind.  I didnt want to make cosmetics, I want to make Makkoli.
-When yo try to shop for Nuruk online you get links to the cosmetic products, another thing that made finding some difficult.

Eventually I did find someone who pointed me in the right direction and I was the proud owner of a 14 inch disk of dried Nuruk.  I have to tell you it was an interesting adventure and I felt proud as hell when I did find the person who could get it for me.


*On a side note so many of the shriveled, grumpy old ladies in these markets get very angry at you when you ask them a question.  The consumer is more of an annoyance than a source of income in the eyes of Ajuma.  Strange culture here, very strange.
The couple I bought from were nice as all hell and I will be going back there with a bottle of my finished product as a thank you to them.

9 comments:

  1. Hey,

    Great Blog! I am now brewing my own Makkoli at home. As for the 누룩, it is readily available in the Yongho-dong market that is just across from LG Metro City. It's 5000 won for a giant disk. If you need specific directions, just let me know. Thanks for the info on the brewing.

    soxcoverfeet@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been researching something to brew for the last few days and as I love 마걸리! I've decided to give this a try myself!
    Can one of you also give me directions to where you get your 누룩? I will see if I can find it near me but I'm actually very excited to try this!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I got a pad from my girlfreinds school freind. I'm sure I can get another one for you, or just break off a piece of what I have at home. Have to ask for a couple won, just what it's worth either way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forgot to say that she brings it from home, to school, then carted to my place.
    Sorry I cant help more.
    If what I said works, just give me a message. This stuff is really easy to make, good luck to ya.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I live in the U.S. and I live near several Korean markets ( GrandMart, HMart, Lotte) in Annandale, VA. Not one of them carry Nuruk. When I asked the locals where I could buy it -they had no idea what I was talking about.Basically, I want to brew my own Soju.Are there any online sites that sell it? Even if the site is located Korea I would be willing to pay for it. Any info would be appreciated!!

    Thanks!
    MKim

    Melanie.kim72@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. From what I know you dont need to use Nuruk to make Soju. Most good Soju is made from sweet potato which can be fermented regularly with just yeast. The so so stuff is mainly made from some kind of grain other than rice and is also fermented with plain yeast.

    Even if you used rice to do the initial fermentation most of the flavor would be lost in distilation.

    My advice would be to try a batch with wheat, or potato and regular yeast. It was annoying enough to find Nuruk in person, I'd hate to try to navigate through it online.
    A second option is to look for Koji online. Its the same thing, just the Japanese name.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nuruk can ordered online: http://www.hmart.com/shopnow/shopnow_newsub.asp?p=846034006119

    It is also found in most Oriental Stores. In English, it is usually called Powdered Enzyme Amylase. There are two Korean grocery stores near Baltimore (Hmart, and Lotte), and both carry Powdered Enzyme Amylase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU! That name pulls up lots of results, even on Amazon. It drove me crazy, everyone referring to it by the Korean name. Like the blogger, I couldn't find anything. Though HMart seems like a pretty good deal, only $14 for 1lb shipped.

      Delete
  8. The Korean stores outside of Baltimore sell nuruk, and I'm sure the ones in northern Virginia do as well. It is called amalyse enzyme.

    ReplyDelete